“Riot Rye Bakehouse & Bread School is committed to creating and actively fostering a culture of bread without the use of industrial additives or chemicals.
We believe that food producers have a responsibility to those consuming their products and the wider community, with regard to their nutrition and well-being.
We exclusively use organic flours, natural and wild ingredients in our breads.
We employ sustainable production methods with our highly energy efficient wood-fired oven, fuelled by locally sourced timber.
We believe in the right of access for all through education to nutritional, life-affirming foods”.
Julie Lockett & Joe Fitzmaurice
Joe Fitzmaurice & Julie Lockett are Riot Rye. Joe pioneered the introduction to Dublin of modern sourdough breads. He was raised through whole-food macrobiotics and his parents, Pauline and Joe, founded ‘The Golden Dawn’, a macrobiotic whole-foods centre in Dublin in the 1970s. His sister Lorraine set-up Blazing Salads II, a whole-food/vegetarian restaurant in 1986 and then in 2000, with his other sister Pamela, opened Blazing Salads Food Company, a renowned whole-food/vegetarian delicatessen. Joe joined them straight away and began baking 100% rye, spelt and wheat sourdoughs for the deli. In 2004, the three of them opened Dublin’s first fully certified organic commercial bakery, the award-winning Blazing Salads Bread Company.
That same year, Julie visited Findhorn Foundation Community in Scotland. After her experience there, Julie and Joe decided to join Cloughjordan Eco-village and build a wood-fired bakery: Cloughjordan Wood-fired Bakery. In 2014, they decided to set a new course with their business in response to the continuing demise of true artisan and craft bakeries in Ireland and set up Riot Rye.
Joe is a founding member of Real Bread Ireland www.realbreadireland.org
The Riot Rye oven is a heat retaining masonary oven, designed by Alan Scott, a world-renowned pioneer and designer of highly efficient wood-fired ovens.
Joe discussed his ideas for the bakery with Alan and its location in the eco-village. Alan recommended this particular oven design: the oven measures 120cm x 180cm internally, is lined with masonary bricks and then set in 12cm of refractory concrete. Joe constructed the oven with his friend Mando in 2011.
Masonary ovens achieve not just higher temperatures but also better heat retention, radiation and conduction of heat. All these factors result in lighter, airier and crustier bread. Riot Rye source all timber from local, sustainably managed beech and ash woodlands.
- 2017 All Ireland Restaurant Awards – Best Cookery School
- 2016 Euro-Toques Food Awards for Joe Fitzmaurice, Riot Rye, Real Bread Ireland – in recognition of excellent quality standards, traditional and artisan production methods, and outstanding contribution to irish food.
- 2016 Irish Food Writers Guild, Notable Contribution to Irish Food Award
- 2015 Blas na hÉireann National Irish Food Awards: Silver & Bronze
- 2014 Blas na hÉireann National Irish Food Awards: Gold & Silver
- 2015, 2016, 2017 McKenna Guides, Best in Ireland
- 2015, 2016 2017 Georgina Campbell, Best Producers
- 2012 Blas na hÉireann National Irish Food Awards: Gold, Silver & Bronze
- 2013 & 2014 McKenna Guides, Best in Ireland
- 2013 & 2014 Georgina Campbell, Best Producers
- 2010 Blas na hÉireann National Irish Food Awards: Silver
- 2010 Great Taste Awards: 1 Gold Star
- 2010 All Ireland Artisan Food Producers Awards: 2 x Gold
- 2009 Blas na hÉireann National Irish Food Awards: Gold & Bronze
- 2009 Great Taste Awards: 1 Gold Star
- 2009 Food and Wine Magazine, Artisan Supplier of the Year, 2nd Highly Commended
- 2008 Blas na hÉireann National Irish Food Awards: Gold & Silver
- 2008 Great Taste Awards: 2 Gold Stars