Sourdough Course Level 2
This is an intermediate course which is suitable for people who have completed our Sourdough Level 1 Course, as well as for those who are baking sourdough bread regularly and wish to gain consistency in their baking and broaden their knowledge of the sourdough process.
- 8 places, €135 per person, 10am-6pm, 1-day course
- A delicious vegetarian lunch made with organic, fresh, local ingredients.
- Organic/Fair Trade tea and coffee served throughout the day.
- Fresh sourdough starter to bring home with you.
- A selection of breads you have baked yourself to bring home with you.
- Saturdays – 9th September (places available), 28th October (places available)
- Tuesday – 14th November (places available)
You will learn:
- how to start and maintain both a wheat and rye sourdough starter
- how to make a great simple sourdough loaf at home to fit the busiest of schedules
- how to make a traditional, flavoursome pain de campagne – a blend of rye and wheat flours
- how to make a delicious multi-grain sourdough
- how to incorporate Irish grains and flours into your baking
- how to focus on temperature and gluten strength to maximise the volume and lightness of your breads whilst ensuring a full flavour
- how to use baker percentages to create and regulate your own recipes
This course will focus on making you a better baker!
You will bring home with you a full set of course notes, selection of breads you have baked yourself, fresh sourdough starter and a deeper understanding of the world of natural fermentation.
Please see terms and conditions here.
“This is the second day course that I’ve attended at Riot Rye. I’ll definitely be back again – so much more to learn! The small class size means everyone gets to see exactly what’s going on, and then do it themselves. Thank you to both Joe & Julie for a great day.”
“Thank you both very much for the fabulous course. I have attended many cookery courses over the years but yours is definitely one of the best I have been too. If I could bottle Joe’s enthusiasm I would make a fortune. I learned such a lot that I hope to put into practice over the next few months. Thanks ever so much for the book tips I really appreciate them.”
“Absolutely delighted with the day I spent in Cloughjordan. I have already seen the benefits in the wholegrain loaf I made today. By using the stiff starter instead of the 50:50, I made a loaf that is much lighter than my previous efforts. For that alone the trip was worthwhile, but the real benefit was in seeing, and being shown, how to knead and shape the dough. All the books and videos in the world can’t beat the hands-on experience. Thank you both so much for such a rewarding experience!”
“Being a self-taught sourdough maker I was able to get the results but not consistently and not without wanting for improvement on the crumb, the crust, or the height, etc. I always felt I was going wrong somewhere but couldn’t put my finger on where. Joe took the complication out of bread making and also squashed the overthinking element. I made my first loaf since the course; I was able to produce a loaf faster, it looked fantastic and it tasted the best yet. Joe was right when he said your own bread is the best bread.”
“Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the course on Saturday. Really informative and I am really looking forward to applying the knowledge to my bread baking. Lunch was delicious and hearing about the eco-village and taking a stroll around the site was fascinating. I will be recommending you guys to anyone who even mentions the word bread to me!”
“Thank you Julie and Joe for a wonderful day. The ambience of the venue, the friendliness & hospitality from you both adds a memorable experience to the terrific presentation by Joe with such enthusiasm and generosity of knowledge.”
“Thank you so much for the course. It was so well run and I thoroughly enjoyed the day. I feel inspired to make changes to my loaves and already have seen huge improvements. I feel like I have learnt life lessons and I think what you guys are doing there is really special. I have already and will continue to recommend the courses to my friends.”