Sourdough Course Level 3
This is an advanced course which is suitable for confident home bakers as well as for experienced professional cooks and chefs who wish to broaden their sourdough repertoire.
- 8 places, €135 per person, 10am-6pm, 1-day course
- A delicious vegetarian lunch made with organic, fresh, local ingredients.
- Organic/Fair Trade tea and coffee served throughout the day.
- Fresh sourdough starter to bring home with you.
- A selection of breads you have baked yourself to bring home with you.
- Saturday – 4th November 2023 (places available)
This course builds on Sourdough Course Levels 1 and 2 and our Sourdough Baking Course for Chefs & Cooks. It will expand on techniques already learned and introduce you to a new range of possibilities for working with natural fermentation.
You will learn:
- how to make a wonderful Sourdough Walnut bread with a focus on flavour and open crumb structure
- how to make a Malthouse Sourdough bread using couching techniques
- how to incorporate Irish grains and flours into your baking
- how to use temperature and various fermentation techniques in order to work with the subtle and complex flavours, textures and forms of your breads.
- how to use baker percentages to create and regulate your own recipes
This course will offer you the opportunity to immerse yourself in a variety of techniques which will give you the skills and confidence to be a more instinctive baker.
You will bring home with you a full set of course notes, selection of breads, fresh sourdough starter and a deeper understanding of the world of natural fermentation.
Please see terms and conditions here.
“Spent two wonderful days at Riot Rye. Joe is a passionate baker and an excellent teacher. The course for Chefs & Cooks and Advanced Sourdough exceeded my expectations. If anyone wants to delve deeper into the magic of sourdough, then I cannot recommend Joe more highly.”
“Joe and Julie are most gracious hosts in their wonderful bakery. The course is full of practical advice for those who have been making sourdough bread but wish to refine their skills and improve their sourdough making techniques. Joe is generous and patient with his vast experience and understanding of sourdough baking and this course builds on the knowledge that many bakers may already have.“
“Thank you both for a wonderful day’s baking and learning, love going to Riot Rye – you will have to come up with another course as there is so much knowledge and experience in Joe’s head and course delivery format is so relaxed and thoroughly enjoyable and I even find it almost like therapy!!”
“Thank you very much for an excellent day at Riot Rye. It was a pleasure to listen to Joe and learn about the different types of sourdough breads and techniques as well as troubleshoot our own breads. The practical experience really helped reinforce the techniques we learned. Julie, thank you for the delicious lunch. Hopefully be back very soon.”
“Many thanks for a superb day. It was well organised and extremely informative as well as being great fun. The lunch was top class. This day raised the standards for baking true real bread!!”
“Great day learning more and more about sourdough…great bread and crackers made. Will be back for a third time! Well worth getting lost in Durrow for the second time.”